Friday, December 4, 2020

help with fixing translation for KN Mil 3.7.16. . Arūpa-dhamma-vavatthāna-duk-kara-pañha

I need help from some pali experts here.

First,  T.W. Rhys Davids translation of this passage, and then my attempt to fix it.

I highlight the important part that I want to get precisely correct.


T.W. Rhys Davids translation of this passage:



frankk's attempt to fix passage:




The important grammar questions are:

what is arupa referring to here? Buddha is in an arupa samadhi to do that dharma discernement?

Or that those dharma factors being discerned (contact, perception, etc.) are -form-less arupa?

Also I'm not clear at all how all of these pieces work together in that statement:

citta-cetasikānaṃ dhammānaṃ ek-ārammaṇe vattamānānaṃ va-vatthānaṃ 


doctrinally, such as MN 111, we know this kind of dharma factor discernement can be done in 4 jhanas and first 3 arupa samadhi attainments, so I would think this passage is referring to those dharma factors are what is arupa, not that the Buddha must be in an arupa samadhi to do that.


No comments:

Post a Comment