Friday, January 26, 2024

KN Dhp 183 similar to quote (misattributed) to Abraham Lincoln, "When I do good, I feel good..."

 

KN Dhp 183 – (do good, no evil, clean mind)

♦ sabba-pāpassa a-karaṇaṃ,
To avoid all evil,
kusalassa upasampadā .
to cultivate good,
♦ sa-citta-pariyodapanaṃ,
and to cleanse one’s mind—
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.
this is the teaching of the Buddhas.


https://suebrewton.com/2016/01/31/no-that-is-not-what-abraham-lincoln-said/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

excerpt:

“When I do good I feel good, when I do bad I feel bad, and that’s my religion.”

Unknown
Herndon’s Lincoln: The True Story of a Great Life, volume III, chapter XIV
William H. Herndon and Jesse William Weik

According to Herndon (Lincoln’s friend and law partner), Lincoln attributes this quote to an old man named Glenn in Indiana.  Since there have been multitudes of people named Glenn in Indiana and no other identifying information is provided, we can only attribute this quote to unknown. 



No comments:

Post a Comment