Friday, June 7, 2019

accidental pāli translations and unintentional profound Dhamma exclamations


accidental pāli translations and unintentional profound Dhamma exclamations

Post by frank k » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:23 am
It would be cool to collect quotes and short anecdotes of the nature described in the subject.

Here's one to start things off.

One time, my friend and housemate observed me eating grapefruit, which I quite enjoy.
He had a disgusted look on his face, and said, "why do you eat that? It's bitter and sour."

I paused for a second, and then just started laughing like crazy.
He had made a simple observation, but I had interpreted what he said on a Dhamma level.

Basically, he just summed up samsara. Samsara = grapefruit = bitter + sour.
bitter + sour = dukkha.
In fact, in Chinese sutras, the word they use for translating dukkha also is the same word they use for "bitter" (taste).

So I'm laughing like crazy because he astutely observed that I'm an utter fool for delighting in the bitterness of samsara.

No comments:

Post a Comment