Friday, November 4, 2022

Mr. Roger's neighborhood vs. Mr. Sujato's lover's lane

 

Re: Kp 9, Snp 1.8: a new reading of the Mettasutta [from Sujato] that will change everything [for the worse]

Post by frank k » 

BrokenBones wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:51 am...
Yes indeed, spreading Bhante's translation of metta hither & thither is definitely breaking a precept.

The simple act of tracing its etymology would lead it to being 'friend' as in friendliness.

The great MLK was a bit too 'friendly' in certain respects.

I like to think I'm friendly with people I meet and willingly declare my friendship; but if I started telling them I love them I'd get quite a few strange looks from the men and a ding round the ear from the missus if I declared my love for any women.

Love really is a poor translation.
Well said.
Reminds me Mr. Rogers defintion of being a good 'neighbor', which is much closer to 'metta' and 'mitta', than Sujato's tainted 'love' (metta).
Lyrics
It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood
A beautiful day for a neighbor
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
It's a neighborly day in this beautywood
A neighborly day for a beauty
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you
So, let's make the most of this beautiful day
Since we're together, we might as well say
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?
Won't you please, won't you please?
Please, won't you be my neighbor?
Neighbors are people who are close to us
And friends are people who are close to our hearts
I like to think of you as my neighbor and my friend


Now instead of Mr. Roger's "neighbor" for "metta", try Mr. Sujato's neighborhood where metta = "love"
Lyrics
It's a beautiful day in this loverhood
A beautiful day for a lover
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
It's a loverly day in this beautywood
A loverly day for a beauty
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
I have always wanted to have a lover just like you
I've always wanted to live in a loverhood with you
So, let's make the most of this beautiful day
Since we're together, we might as well say
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my lover?
Won't you please, won't you please?
Please, won't you be my lover?
lovers are people who are close to us
And friends are people who are close to our hearts
I like to think of you as my lover and my friend
Suddenly Mr. Sujato's neighborhood is transformed into a land of predators and inappropriate 'love', not the Buddha's metta or Mr. Rogers good neighbor vibe.


No comments:

Post a Comment