Saturday, July 23, 2022

KN Snp 5.6 Dhotaka: another sutta where 'viveka' doesn't make sense as 'seclusion', 'discernment' makes more sense

 


Sutta Nipāta 5.6
Dhotaka-māṇava-pucchā
5.6 The Questions of Dhotaka
“Pucchāmi taṁ bhagavā brūhi metaṁ,
“I ask you, Blessed One; please tell me this,”
(iccāyasmā dhotako)
said Venerable Dhotaka,
Vācābhikaṅkhāmi mahesi tuyhaṁ;
“I long for your voice, great hermit.
Tava sutvāna nigghosaṁ,
After hearing your message,
Sikkhe nibbānamattano”.
I shall train myself for nirvanaing.”
“Tenahātappaṁ karohi,
“Well then, be ardent, alert,”
(dhotakāti bhagavā)
replied the Buddha,
Idheva nipako sato;
“and rememberful right here.
Ito sutvāna nigghosaṁ,
After hearing this message, go on
Sikkhe nibbānamattano”.
and train yourself for nirvanaing.”
“Passāmahaṁ deva-manussaloke,
“I see in the world of gods and humans
Akiñcanaṁ brāhmaṇamiriyamānaṁ;
a brahmin travelling with nothing.
Taṁ taṁ namassāmi samantacakkhu,
Therefore I bow to you, all-seer:
Pamuñca maṁ sakka kathaṅkathāhi”.
release me, Sakyan, from my doubts.”
“Nāhaṁ sahissāmi pamocanāya,
“I am not able to release anyone
Kathaṅkathiṁ dhotaka kañci loke;
in the world who has doubts, Dhotaka.
Dhammañca seṭṭhaṁ abhijānamāno,
But when you understand the best of Dharmas,
Evaṁ tuvaṁ oghamimaṁ taresi”.
you shall cross this flood.”
“Anusāsa brahme karuṇāyamāno,
“Teach me, brahmin, out of compassion,
Viveka-dhammaṁ yamahaṁ vijaññaṁ;
the dharma of seclusion so that I may understand.
Yathāhaṁ ākāsova abyāpajjamāno,
I wish to practice right here, peaceful, independent,
Idheva santo asito careyyaṁ”.
as unimpeded as space.”
“Kittayissāmi te santiṁ,
“I shall extol that peace for you,”
(dhotakāti bhagavā)
replied the Buddha,
Diṭṭhe dhamme anītihaṁ;
“that is apparent in the present, not relying on tradition.
Yaṁ viditvā sato caraṁ,
Having understood it, one who lives rememberfully
Tare loke visattikaṁ”.
may cross over clinging in the world.”
“Tañcāhaṁ abhinandāmi,
“And I rejoice, great hermit,
mahesi santimuttamaṁ;
in that supreme peace,
Yaṁ viditvā sato caraṁ,
having understood which, one who lives rememberfully
tare loke visattikaṁ”.
may cross over clinging in the world.”
“Yaṁ kiñci sampajānāsi,
Once you have understood that everything,”
(dhotakāti bhagavā)
replied the Buddha,
Uddhaṁ adho tiriyañcāpi majjhe;
“you are aware of in the world—
Etaṁ viditvā saṅgoti loke,
above, below, all round, between—
Bhavābhavāya mākāsi taṇhan”ti.
is a snare, don’t crave for life after life.”
Dhotaka-māṇava-pucchā pañcamī.


frankk:

'seclusion' doesn't lead to that understanding.

'discernment' leads to that understandig.

No comments:

Post a Comment