Wednesday, July 8, 2020

audio recording in pali for 10 precepts, 8 precepts. Pronunciation tip - keep tongue in neutral position


I updated this article to contain new audio recordings to go along with pali + english text:
10 precepts: 🔗skin in the game: why learn pali? memorize: 10 precepts

🔗🔊: (link to audio for 10 precepts at slow speed, 
8 precepts at 40 seconds normal conversation speed)


Great pronunciation strategy tip

Back in my early days learning pali, a Sri Lankan monk gave me this great tip.
Most westerners trying to pronounce pali tend to have their tongue in the wrong position. 
If I recall correctly,  he said the error being the tongue was either too labial (lips) or dental (teeth).
He suggested keeping the tongue in a more centered, neutral location.

I took that advice to heart, and between that tip, and listening to audio of Sri Lankan pali chanting experts, I found that was enough for me to get a decent pronunciation going, without practicing all the detailed nuances from the full blown pronunciation guide. Just listen to correct pronunciation, try to reproduce what you hear, and the tongue being in a more neutral position ensures whatever you make is not too far off. Ultimate gorilla (guerrilla) warfare for quick usable results in the jungle and real life application. 


No comments:

Post a Comment