Sunday, January 10, 2021

Jhanic and brahmaviharic elements in this meditator's experience

 From a public posting on reddit Meditation forum, 

they don't say what kind of meditation they were doing for 3 years, or what kind of spiritual work, but how it has impacted their moment to moment experience of life you can see Jhanic and brahmaviharic elements in this meditator's experience.


https://www.reddit.com/r/Meditation/comments/ku515x/ive_been_crying_of_happiness_a_lot_lately/

I've been crying of happiness a lot lately

Recently I've been finding myself in a pure aware state for much of the day. I meditated in lotus on the beach the other day, listening to the waves crashing before me. After a while it seemed that I became the water. It was incredible. Then I did some stretches and just laid down flat on the sand, allowing my mind to be completely free, not focusing on anything. Then I felt my entire body spinning round, like it was doing lots of backward rolls. It felt as though I could feel the rotation of the earth. I can't describe the amazing feeling I felt. I then slowly (like super slowly) walked back home, observing every tree, animal and sound I noticed along the way. I felt so incredibly happy, when all I was doing was looking around, but I was taking it in, absorbing the nature around me. That was an incredible day.

Then more recently I've been finding myself in that same state and then I just start crying, but of happiness. I'm talking proper sobbing. I find it very easy now to allow any negative feelings to drift away, but happy feelings I've been embracing.

I've also been crying a lot when watching my favourite TV show (I've watched it like 12 times). Crying at all the sad parts, the happy parts, then laughing out loud at all the jokes, even though I can never remember laughing out loud over anything on TV before. I seem to be feeling every emotion very strongly, and my empathy for other lifeforms has increased too. Every animal I see I have nothing but an enormous amount of love for, and every person I feel deeply about. For instance, the other day I was walking home and someone drove past and shouted "How's it going, fatty?" (I'm actually feeling super secure about my weight as well. I put on a lot of pounds over the last 2 years due to mental illness, but am now easily shifting the weight) and I didn't feel offended, I didn't feel upset. I only thought of the person that had said that to me. I thought of how miserable his life must be to cause him to want to insult another lifeform, emotionally cause harm in another term... No person who is happy would ever want to do this. So I felt for the person. I wanted to make their life better.

Is it normal for someone who meditates to spontaneously cry like this, and to feel this way in general? Obviously I'm really happy with my path to enlightenment, but crying at most things seems strange.

I've been meditating for 3 years but recently have been doing a lot of spiritual work.

EDIT: Wow thank you all so much for the support! I just woke up and read the comments ☺️ Seems like I'm on a good path here. Hopefully I can maintain this! 😁


No comments:

Post a Comment